Welcome to the Campton and Chicksands Parish Council website.
The Campton and Chicksands Neighbourhood Plan.... Now Launched!
Want to find out more... Why not watch the Parish Council video online
We want to know what you think... Please take the online survey (it will only take a few minutes)
Remember... "Your Parish.... Your Views..."
Campton and Chicksands civil parish is a small settlement in Central Bedfordshire comprising the villages of Campton and Chicksands, which were both listed in the Doomsday Survey of 1086. Campton and Chicksands have a long history but the current parish was only formed in 1985 and covers 3.7 square miles.
Campton village stands on a tributary of the river Ivel and is located about nine miles southeast of Bedford. The village is centred around the 13th century All Saints’ Church and includes a Manor built in 1591 and an 18th century rectory. The village consists of approximately 220 dwellings, a lower school, a village hall, a public house and a recreation ground. The poet Robert Bloomfield (1766-1823), renowned for his poem ‘The Farmer’s Boy’ is buried in All Saints’ churchyard. His name is perpetuated by the Robert Bloomfield Academy located in the neighbouring town of Shefford (referred to as Shefford-cum-Campton until the mid-19th century).
Chicksands adjoins the northern side of Campton village and consists of 116 ex-ministry houses, which are privately occupied, and the Defence Intelligence and Security Centre which provides living quarters for 266 families of military personnel. Within its grounds is Chicksands Priory, formerly a manor until 1147 when it was given to the Gilbertine Order for the building of a religious house. The order was based there until 1538 when the Priory was claimed by the Crown following the dissolution of the monasteries by Henry VIII. In 1598 ownership passed to the Osborne family until 1936 when it was purchased for the Air Ministry. During World War II the RAF established a Y station at Chicksands where German coded signals were intercepted before being passed to Bletchley Park for decryption. From 1950-95 it was used by the United States Air Force Security as a listening station utilising the first huge FLR-9 direction finding antenna, referred to locally as the ‘Elephant Cage’.
Central Bedfordshire Council has its offices at Priory House on the former RAF Chicksands sports field adjacent to the A507, which separates Chicksands from Campton village.
Central Bedfordshire Council launched its Local Plan in February 2016 that documents the allocation of new homes, jobs and infrastructure for the next 20 years.
The Draft Local Plan has been published on the Central Bedfordshire Council website and was open for consultation until 29th August. Two sites in Campton are shortlisted for further consideration for housing development. Further information can be found on our webpage....update added 31/08/17
The Parish Council has agreed to prepare a Neighbourhood Plan at its meeting on 5th July and the designated area has now been confirmed by Central Bedfordshire Council. There are two launch events planned in November and a survey for all residents to complete. Details are provided here.... update added 25/10/2017